My Dublin House

My Dublin House
St. Mary's

Intro

This blog is about our journey restoring and renovating our 'new' very old house in Dublin and how my ideas are reflected and incorporated into the house design. It is not just about design, but how the house will work for us a family with 2 very lively boys and trying to update the house to 21st Century living without taking away the traditional features, charm and history.


Hopefully a happy marriage of Scandi and Irish design and lifestyle!


I hope you will enjoy the journey with me, and feel free to comment at any time or send me an email if you have any question.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Friday 7 November 2014

Kitchen

So excited about getting my new kitchen, as some of you know I LOVE cooking and it's my true de-stresser as I just switch off and cook although preferably on my own and this kitchen is just that - a kitchen!

No open plan dining/family room - just a kitchen, no excuse for kids to run around my feet and I can close the door once the cooking is done and ignore the washing up.

As our kitchen is a combination of 2 huge windows, 2 very large doors, a chimney breast, very high ceilings and no straight walls, it has to be made to spec - lucky me ;-)

Our kitchen is the creation of my own ideas interpreted and improved by the talented Morwenna Gerrard and will be built by the equally talented Patrick McKenna of Wabi-Sabi (www.wabi-sabi.ie) in Dublin.

The kitchen design will have a contemporary look with white spray painted handle-less doors with internal carcasses made with oak veneered timber. The central island will have a brass coated welded steel frame supporting a slim Carrera marble top with the basin, dishwater and bins built into a white box underneath.

All is planned very carefully as space is premium and tricky, but actually it's going to be just great. I will have all the storage I need around my 'work' area and the coffee machine, cups etc. is in a cupboard where David won't be in my way when he makes his 10th coffee that morning.

Still deciding on appliances and taps - current favourites are VOLA taps (Danish of course), Quooker tap, Miele ovens and Dishwasher and a 91cm Liebherr integrated fridge/freezer with an ice maker but no water dispenser. Lets see how the budget works out - have promised David to be flexible in some areas.....

Below are some images of the old kitchen and some 3D drawings of the new one plus a lifestyle image of my chosen light - the very cool 'Bent Chandelier' by Workstead, which will also be available in my shop very soon.

Old Kitchen 
Old Kitchen 
Old Kitchen 
Old Kitchen 
New Kitchen Design - by Wabi-Sabi

New Kitchen Design - by Wabi-Sabi

New Kitchen Design - by Wabi-Sabi
My chosen light for the central island - 'Bent Chandelier' by Workstead 

2 comments:

  1. It looks amazing Helle you you accept early bookings? ;-) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can almost visualize how the kitchen will look like once everything's done. I'm sure it'll look magnificent. Our kitchen is really my favorite place in the house too, probably because I love cooking as much as sampling what I whip up. Hahaha! Anyway, thank you so much for sharing the pictures! Wishing you all the best!

    Sue Berry @ Advanced

    ReplyDelete